A Better Way to Say No 拒絕,還有更好的方法
圖片來源:一百隻熊
No. No thanks. Not right now. Sorry, I just can't do it. Simple enough words aren't they? Saying "No" though, is not always that simple. Of course, if we can't, or don't want to do something, it's important to say no, but the trick is, to say it without seeming rude or offending someone.
「不」、「謝謝,不了」、「現在不行」、「抱歉,我就是辦不到」,這些字很簡單不是嗎?但要說「不」,很多時候並非那麼簡單。當然, 如果你不能或不想做某些事,說「不」很重要,但要訣是,說的時候不要顯得無禮或冒犯到別人。
Let's say your boss wants you to do some extra work, but you have some personal commitments. First off try to avoid an abrupt, "No!" Not only is this rude, but it can sound confrontational and is likely to cause offence, and may even land you in hot water. In this case you might be better off apologising first and then giving a brief explanation as to why you're unable to do it. "Sorry, I'm afraid that I have to take care of some important issues."
假設你的老闆要你加班,但你有私人的要緊事情。首先,要避免突兀地說出:「不!」這樣不僅不禮貌,聽起來也會像要槓上對方而引起反感 ,甚至讓你陷入麻煩。這種情況下,你最好先用道歉開始,然後簡短解釋為什麼沒辦法。「抱歉,我恐怕要去處理其他重要事情。」
You may find yourself being asked by friends or colleagues to a party or an event that you don't really wish to attend. Honesty in this case may not be the best approach. Telling them you don't want to go might hurt their feelings and damage your relationship. Instead, you could say "I wish I could go, but I have plans".
你也許會被朋友或同事邀請去你其實不想參加的宴會或活動。在這種情況下,誠實可能不是最好的解套方法。直接告訴他們你不想去,很可能 讓對方覺得受傷並傷害你們的友誼。相反地,你可以說:「我希望我能去,但不巧有了別的安排。」
Whatever the circumstances, you always have the right to say no. However, bear in mind how it will affect the people you are speaking to. You don't want to burn any bridges or hurt anyone, and a few extra words or a short explanation can make all the difference.
不論情況如何,你總是有權利說不。然而,要記得,當你說出來時,這句話會如何影響當事人。你不想讓自己無路可退或傷害任何人,那只要 多說幾個字,或加個簡短解釋,就可以有不同結果。
-----------------------
Useful ways to say no 有效的拒絕方法
● I wish I could, but...
我希望我可以,但是……
● Unfortunately I can't. I have... Sorry.
很不巧的,我不能……。我已經……,抱歉。
● Oh. I don't think I'll be able to make it.
哦。 我想我沒辦法做到。
● I'd love to but...
我很樂意,但是……
● I'm afraid I can't. Perhaps another time?
我恐怕不能。 也許下次吧?
-----------------------
Language Corner
1.abrupt (adj):Something sudden and unexpected. Usually unpleasant(突兀)
There was an abrupt knock at the door.
2.confrontation (noun):A fight or argument(衝突)
There were violent confrontations between the police and protestors.
3.approach (noun):A way of handling or dealing with a situation(方法)
She felt the company needed a new approach to bring in new customers.
4.circumstances (noun):An event or fact that makes a situation what it is(狀況)
They couldn't make a decision without knowing all the circumstances.
5.burn your bridges (idiom):A situation where you destroy all possible ways of going back to that situation(無路可退)
He burnt his bridges at the company when he called the boss an idiot.